Rules of Court - ECHR Official Texts - ECHR
Rules of Court
Rules of Court
- Rules of Court (30 October 2023)
- Rules of Court (Armenian version - 1 January 2020)
- Rules of Court (Czech version - 30 October 2023)
- Rules of Court (Italian version - 23 June 2023)
- Rules of Court (Romanian version - 1 January 2020)
- Rules of Court (Russian version - 1 January 2020)
- Rules of Court (Spanish version - 1 August 2018)
- Rules of Court (Turkish version - 23 June 2023)
Report on the implementation of the revised rule on the lodging of new applications:
- Requests for interim measures (Rule 39) | More information
- Institution of proceedings (Art. 34 of the Convention)
- Written pleadings
- Just satisfaction claims (Art. 41 of the Convention)
- Secured electronic filing by Governments
- Requests for anonymity
- Electronic filing by applicants
- Processing of applications in the event of a mass influx
- Requests under Article 43 of the Convention
- Third-party intervention (Art. 36 § 2 of the Convention or Art. 3, second sentence, of Protocol No. 16)
Requests for interim measures
When the Court receives an application it may decide that a State should take certain measures provisionally while it continues its examination of the case.
These measures, known as ‘interim measures’, will only be indicated by the Court in strictly defined conditions and must be requested in accordance with the requirements set out in the practice direction on requests for interim measures.
Just satisfaction claims
When it finds a violation of the Convention, the Court may make an award of ‘just satisfaction’ to the applicant(s).
This award is not automatic and applicants wishing to claim it for any damage must comply with the procedural and substantive conditions set out in the practice direction on just satisfaction claims.
Guidelines - Protocol No. 16
The Guidelines, which were approved by the Plenary Court on 18 September 2017 and are non-binding, should be read in the light of the provisions of Protocol No. 16 to the Convention and the corresponding Rules of the Rules of Court, also reproduced in Appendix I to the Guidelines.
Only the English and French versions of the official texts have been validated by the Court.
The translations into non-official languages come from various sources.
Links to the Council of Europe Treaty Office: